The benefits of customised warehouse labels
Even for small manufacturing and distribution operations, running an efficient warehouse is essential. If it’s difficult for the warehouse team to identify products, there is a real danger that customers could receive incorrect orders or the perishable stock may go out of date if it hasn’t been properly rotated.
Implementing a warehouse labelling system will streamline your workflows and improve efficiency at every level. The type of warehouse labels needed will depend on many factors; which is why we recommend customised warehouse labels to meet your exact requirement.
Types of warehouse labels
For all but the smallest operation, barcode warehouse labels are ideal for marking rack, shelf or floor locations, as well as for tracking returnable containers.
Here are some of the commonly used warehouse labels:
Warehouse floor labels are often used in very large warehouses with multiple locations. They are made from durable materials to withstand significant traffic and harsh environments.
Rack labels, sometimes known as shelf labels or racking labels, are the most commonly used warehouse identification labels. Rack labels can use a simple identification system and colour coding to ease product identification or can be printed with 1D barcodes or 2D QR codes to support a sophisticated inventory management system.
Warehouse rack labels can be customised to fit your racking or shelving type exactly; label material is selected to withstand whatever the conditions dictate e.g. ambient temperatures, cold or freezing storage, damp conditions etc.
Container barcode labels
Where reusable trays, totes, dolavs and cages are used in your operation, variable data barcode labels are ideal to maintain traceability. Barcode labels, also known as licence plate number (LPN) labels, can be made from durable materials where they need to remain in situ for long periods. Where trays need to be relabelled frequently, pre-printed unique barcode labels made from a water dispersible material may be recommended for ease of removal.
Where palletised storage or transportation is used, adhesive pallet labels make for accurate identification and delivery. Pallet labels can be customised to ensure that they adhere properly to the pallet surface, withstand warehouse conditions and are the correct size and shape to work effectively with your pallets.
Why use customised warehouse labels?
Warehouse labels may seem like an insignificant part of your warehouse management system, so why spend time customising them when you can buy off-the-shelf labels? By working with us to clearly specify the warehouse labels that are right for your warehouse system, you can cut errors and improve efficiency. Here are some of the considerations:
- What conditions will your warehouse labels need to withstand? Different label materials are available to cater for ambient warehouses, cold storage warehouses and even outdoor conditions
- How long do your labels need to be in place? One-use labels for reusable trays will need to be easy to remove and can be made from cost-effective materials
- Do your labels need to be overprinted with barcodes? 1D Barcode identification is often used in warehouse management systems; thermal labels can be printed in-house using a standalone printer
- Do you have large numbers of reusable containers that need tracking and frequent relabelling? If so, pre-printed variable data labels can be supplied
- Would a colour coding system make your warehouse labels easier for operatives to identify and reduce mistakes?
Let us help you design the perfect warehouse labels for your operation. Call our team to discuss what you need.